Life is precious. However, we don’t always act like it. Way too often we are full of excuses for not stepping up, consequently letting our lack of belief run the show. We allow fear to rule and sit back and wait for things to get better all on their own. We do this both at work and in our private time. As a result, life becomes less of what we want it to be. We procrastinate, feel worn out and avoid taking the chances we normally would. We are in the waiting place.
Know the feeling? Restless without direction? Impatient without a plan? The waiting place is not a place to stay to live a full life. It is, however, a place to be lonely and in the worst of circumstances, depressed. Getting unstuck is not easy – and you might need some help – but it can be done.
In our society, we over-focus on doing everything by ourselves and there is a certain pride in managing on our own. How absolutely upside down is that!? No wonder loneliness and depression is increasing exponentially in our western world. We are not made to live and succeed totally on our own. When being on our own outside our community and “tribe”, our brain fires stress signals, our sleep pattern is interrupted, and we are less likely to succeed. We were simply not made to make it on our own, and thinking that we should is misconstrued.
If you feel stuck, lonely and depressed you need help to untangle yourself.
If you feel stuck, lonely and depressed you need help to untangle yourself. I know it is hard. I know it can feel absolutely impossible to ask for help from people around you. Decide to reach out, even if it feels uncomfortable and scary. Do it anyway. Life is precious and so are you! Being stuck in a waiting place is not a way to live your life.
If you are in a situation where you have absolutely nobody to help you out, look around and see if there is someone you can help. I don’t say this lightly. I know that it can take tremendous willpower and commitment to change and get yourself out of the waiting place where the best hope is to pray that things will change by themselves. They rarely do.
When you reach out to either ask for or offer help, you set things in motion. Together we are able to accomplish so much more! Reaching out to others is also a wonderful way to help yourself as you feel the gratification in doing something meaningful.
Ask a friend, confide in a trusted colleague, call a family member, hire a coach, talk to a neighbor. Reach out. Ask for what you need and dare to be vulnerable. You have everything to win so stop wasting time!
Are you waiting for …
- A plan?
- The right time?
- Your life to happen?
- Time to pass?
- Habits to change?
What if, instead of waiting, you …
- Inspire someone
- Create a plan. Even a tiny one is better than none
- Decide that the right time is NOW
- Be creative with the money you have or find ways to make more money
- Invite someone for a walk, coffee, talk or help someone in need
- Get going and find your drive along the way
- Do something you have not done, take a chance, do something you are good at, or practice mastering something you want to be great at. Find your inner child and play. You build self-esteem by getting out of the box and realizing that you can actually do this thing called living
- Look around you. Who might appreciate your time, input, knowledge or a helping hand?
- Your life is happening as you read this. Now, what one thing can you do today, or right now, that will bring joy and fulfillment?
- Practice awareness or mindfulness. There are infinite opportunities in the here and now when you listen. Really listen and feel what is next for you
- Just do it! What one habit would it benefit you to change? Go ahead, decide what you will do instead of the old habit and then integrate that new, healthy habit into your daily routine
- Write your story. Put words to your old one, the one that has brought you to where you are today. Appreciate the ups and downs, successes and downfalls and what it has taken to get to where you are now. Say your thanks and then start writing your new story. What will the next day/week/year/5 years/10 years look like? What if you lived your best life, what is one thing you can start doing today that will get you there?
Test it out, see what works for you! It is way better to get into action, even if it is a tiny step than sit around waiting for life to happen!